The organisation is founded on the following core principles:
- There are no fees or subscription or any other charge by whatever name called for membership of the organisation.
- Solicitation of funds, directly or indirectly, in any manner is strictly prohibited. The expenses of the day-to-day activities of the units of the Organisation are met by voluntary contribution by the members themselves. Under no circumstances a public appeal for solicitation of funds is resorted to for undertaking any activity of the organisation.
- Proper segregation and separation between male and female members of the organisation is always maintained while performing or executing any activity of the organisation.
- The Sri Sathya Sai Seva Organisations cannot associate itself or partner with any other organisation be it religious or spiritual or of any nature or any institution or body or association of persons whether registered or unregistered of any nature in carrying out or execution of its activities.
- The organisation does not strive for proliferation or publicity or propaganda of its work, activities or achievements nor does it indulge in any kind of fanfare or exhibitionism or pomp or show in carrying out any activities as these are alien to the spiritual path.
- The organisation does not have connection with the government at any level
- The organisation does not seek any support or assistance or help from any government or corporate or non-corporate entity or any other agency or body in execution of or carrying out its activities. However, the Organisation may accept facilitation that may be extended by government if such facilitation is essential in rendering the service by the Organisation and is not otherwise independently available to the Organisation or can only be provided by the government alone.
The Sathya Sai Organisation and its units must not collect money or material from those outside the membership. Fund collection is as much opposed to this movement as fire is to water. If you yield on this point, spiritual advance will perish. Let only members contribute; do not ask all and sundry, or anyone who is not a member of the Samithi (unit).
The Units of our Organisation should not encourage pomp or show for they are alien to the Spiritual Path.
Sai Organisations have not been set up for propaganda purpose. We do not need any publicity.
We do not need any publicity or advertisement. Work silently. Prachar (publicity) is not the achar (practice) of Sai Organisation. We should work for the progress of the Organisation through practice and spread the message of love throughout the world.
“There are two main points for our Organisation to observe: First, do not become involved with money, government, or power. Second, do only what you can within your limits. Let the government take care of whatever it wants to take care of. Do not use its name to enter any activities. Do only those things which you can do with your own resources and which are within your own capabilities. When you follow these principles, even government with be helping you in your endeavours. However, do not establish any connection between the government and the Sai Organisation, in relation to service.”