Samoohika Upanayana Mahotsavam or Mass Thread Ceremony is a traditional Indian Samskara (ceremony) which leads the Vatu(child) to the teacher. The Upanayanam initiates the recital of the Gayatri Mantra which prays for clear intelligence, and thus starts the journey of the vatu taking his first steps to the ultimate realisation of the Reality. This along with investiture of the sacred thread or the “Yagnopavit” which is made up of three strands of thread, which signifies the three responsibilities that the child takes up upon himself: responsibility towards parents, responsibility towards Knowledge or the Master and responsibility towards society. The Gayatri mantra has the subtle power of removing evil tendancies and implanting vituous habits, so the Upanayanam is a unique Samskara. Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba says that the Upanayanam is not only beneficial to the boys initiated but also to everyone who witnesses it and draws inspiration from it.
Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba had performed many Upanayanams for individual families and for groups of children in Prasanthi Nilayam and at Brindavan Ashram. In recent memory Bhagawan had performed one such Mass Upanayanam at Prasanthi Nilayam on February 10th 2000 for 700 boys from the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, 2005 in Brindavan Ashram and 2012. On Feb 10th 2019, exactly 19 years later on the same day of the year 2000 Samoohika Upanayanam, the Sri Sathya Sai Seva Organisations India is proposing to conduct a Samoohika Upanayanam at Prasanthi Nilayam.
Important Dates & Location
Date of the Upanayanam – 10th February 2019
Registration opens on – 19th October 2018
Registration closes – On 15th December 2018 or if the number of Vatus registration is full whichever is first.
Location of Upanayanam ceremony – Prasanthi Nilayam at Sai Kulwant hall
Questions and Answers
When should you arrive at Prasanthi Nilayam?
The Vatu and parents should be at Prasanthi Nilayam on 9th February 2019 before 1 pm. There will be a registration desk where the Vatu will be given his registration details along with accommodation information.
When is the Upanayanam ceremony?
The Upayanam ceremony will be conducted on 10th Feb 2019 starting at 7 am. The exact assembly area will be notified on registration.
Who can sit for the ceremony?
Both parents of the Vatu along with the vatu
What is the criterion for participating in the Upanayanam?
There is a age criteria where the Vatu whould be between 7 and 15 years of age. Either of the parents of the Vatus should be a member of the Sri Sathya Sai Seva Organisations and have a SaiOne id. If the parents do not have a SaiOne id, a link will be available on the website for them to register.
Can the relatives of the Vatu participate?
Each vatu will be given 3 relative passes. Although this does not permit them to sit in the area where the Upanayanam is conducted, there will be a separate seating area for the relatives either in Sai Kulwant hall or in Poornachandra auditorium from where they can view the proceedings.
What should the Vatu bring with him?
Only be present with his parents! All the Vatus will be provided with the ceremonial items for the initiation including the Vastra (Panchanga and Dothi) for the Vatu will be provided on 9th February 2019 where there will be a instruction session at Sai Kulwant Hall.
What is the dress code for the father of vatu?
White Panchanga/angravastram and Dothi. More information will be send closer to the date of the Upanayanam ceremony
What is the dress code for the mother of vatu?
Red or Maroon colour Saree. More information will be send closer to the date of the Upanayanam ceremony
What ceremonies should be followed after the Upanayanam initiaition is done?
The Vatu should be prepared to learn and chant the Gayatri Mantra regularly both in the morning and evening. It will also be very beneficial to perform the Sandya vandanam.
What time is the Upanayanam going to start?
How long will the ceremonies last on 10th February?
About 3 hours
Will Accommodation arrangement be provided at Prasanthi Nilayam?
Shared accommodation will be provided in Sheds or individual rooms at Prasanthi Nilayam.
When does the registration start?
On 19th October 2018
How is the registration process ? is this done online?
The registration is an online registration process at the www.ssssoindia.org website
INSTRUCTIONS TO PARTICIPANTS
- MANDATORY Participation of both the parents of the Vatus : All the Vatus should be present for the Upanayanam with both their parents or Guardians as the Vedic ceremony requires this.
- ARRIVAL TIME: All vatus and parents should arrive at Prasanthi Nilayam by 1.00 PM on 9thFebruary, 2019.
- Briefing for Vatus and partents: All vatus and parents should attend the briefing sessions at Sai Kulwant hall at 8 pm on 9th February.
- Dress code: All the Vatus will be provided with panchai and Dothi. Sarees for Mothers of Vatus and father of Vatu will wear white panchai and Dothi
- Assembly & Seating at Sai Kulwant Hall: All the participants should be assemble at the location at 7 am. The location will be informed on registration closer to the date of the ceremony. Seva dal volunteers will take you to the designed spot to be seated.
- Vedic Learning – All Vatus should attempt to undertake to learn the Vedas after the Upanayanam and also regularly chant the Gayatri Mantra. It will be beneficial for the Vatu to perform Sandhya Vandanam.
- Caste no Bar – As per the teachings of Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba, members of all communities and caste can participate in the Upanayanam ceremony.