“Devotional singing (Bhajan) is one of the processes by which you can train the mind to expand into eternal values. Teach the mind to revel in the glory and majesty of God; wean it away from petty horizons of pleasure… Devotional singing induces in you a desire for experiencing the truth, to glimpse the beauty that is God, to taste the bliss that is the Self. It encourages man to dive into himself and be genuinely his real Self.” –Baba
When Swami was barely 8 or 9 years old He collected His classmates and a few others and formed the PandariBhajan Group. This ebullient troupe of teenagers danced in devotion and glee in the hamlet of Puttaparthi. Not only were the souls of all who witnessed this overflowed with joy, their bodies were healed too! When the epidemic cholera arrived and caused catastrophe in so many villages around, it just could not enter this sacred settlement. That is how powerful were the vibrations created by Swami’s little group. And devotees witnessed a glorious magnification of this ecstatic feeling whenever in the later years Swami lead a bhajan and the multitude joining Him in superlative joy. And in the process they became oblivious to everything around and lost their body, mind and heart in it completely. It was no more a bhajan, it became a supremely sanctifying sadhana. That is how bhajans should be, Swami has demonstrated it time and again.
Community singing or Bhajans alone can create an opportunity to illuminate the spark of divinity within every heart and also unite people in and around the vicinity through the light of Love .Only internal purity can destroy mountains of sins and bring about real transformation in man. -Baba
Aim of Bhajan …Bhajans sung Soulfully…….
- Elevates Divine Consciousness in everyone
- Enlighten participants appreciate the Beauty and Grandeur of Divinity
- Realize the emptiness and futility of materialism
- Motivate to tread on the path of Love and Selfless Service
- Inspire to commence spiritual journey towards self-realization.
Spiritual Benefits of Bhajan
- Relieves from sorrow
- Anxiety, fear, hesitation are driven away from one’s heart.
- Gives relief in pain and reduces the stress
- Elevates the depressed to happy state
- You will shed differences and achieve unity
- Electromagnetic waves generated from the bhajan purify the atmosphere
- Greed for power, name, fame, wealth, knowledge and comforts will vanish
- Removes the veil of illusion
- Elevates the mind to a higher consciousness
- Cleanses the understanding
- Inculcates good habits and cultured behavior
- Activates every part of the brain
- Contributes to character building
- Melody, Tempo, Tone and rhythm improve Multitasking abilities
- Ensures social and intellectual growth of students
- Motivates at-risk students
- Has an honorable designation “Healing without Medicine”
Power of Namasmarana
- Namasmarana is the best antidote for overcoming anger & sorrow.
- Namasmarana instills faith that everything is God’s will and teaches you that you have no right to exult or despair
- Namasmarana purifies the mind, senses and we enjoy continuous, un-alloyed peace and bliss
- Nama is packed with infinite potential to purify, sublimate and transform the mind and the heart
- Namasmarana is the best medicine. Only you do not believe that it can cure or save you
- In the Kali age, Namasmarana is the spiritual discipline to attain liberation
- Namasmarana is the best means for correcting and cleansing the mind. This is like a raft which will take us across hate & fear, churned by anxiety & terror
- Namasmarana knows no failure, overcomes all obstacles and leads one to the ultimate goal
- Namasmarana gives strength to bear our sorrows & tears
- Namasmarana makes His majesty, His grace, His potency and His pervasiveness fixed in the conscious of the devotee to achieve humility and surrender.
- Namasmarana is the easiest means to cross the ocean of delusion, bondage and attachment.
- Namasmarana has infinite power and potential to become one with the infinity
There is no greater joy than coming together like a flock of birds and taking the melodious name of the Lord in unison. Groups of devotees get together in the wee hours of the morning, every day/week and make their way across the bylanes near the temple and sing bhajans in unison, spreading the sacred name of the Lord.
As part of the birthday celebrations of Bhagawan Baba, on the second Saturday-Sunday in November and on Shivarathri day Bhajans (devotional singing) are conducted continuously for 24 hours at all Sathya Sai Centres on a global level praying for peace, harmony and bliss to all mankind.